Sunday, August 2, 2009

End of First Month: Little Stories

New Zealand Slang: Lesson 2 
Small ways to make you sound more like a real Kiwi.

1. When you're feeling exasperated put "oy!" in the beginning of your sentences. 
2. Use the terms "mate" or "bro" for a friend (this is not "bro" like frat-boys use it, but a term that is used by most people under 30 in New Zealand). 
3. Instead of saying "I think" or "I agree" say "aw, yeah. I reckon".
4. Instead of saying "great!" or "that's good news!" say "sweet as!".

e.g. "Oy, bro! What time do you get off work?"
"Aw early today; 10:30 I reckon."
"Sweet as, mate!"

*   *   *
I haven't been posting nearly as frequently, which has upset my mother, so I'll continue to post on a more frequent basis now.  The last few weeks have been a blur of work, volunteering, and trying my hand at cooking weird things. 

Although the weather has still been cold, it's been getting more and more sunny which is nice. It's now above freezing, which is sweet as. I'm calling some people about cars in the next few days, and I will definitely (thanks Emily for the charger!) post pictures of the flat, my work and (maybe?) a very old car.

Saturday night at work was (knock on wood) the worst night of my career (as a waitress/barista), hilarious in how completely terrible it was. 

I took the order for 20 people too early before people sat down. I ended up forgetting an order (lamb shank), so our chef had to do it quickly when we figured it out (after everyone got served). I forgot cutlery for almost every table I served. I forgot to clear dishes for tables. 
My manager, Janna, then screamed at me to "USE MORE COMMON SENSE, ABI. SERIOUSLY. IT'S NOT THAT HARD". I basically almost peed my pants with fear.  Then, to top it off, I managed to drop an entire gallon of milk into the freezer where we keep beer on tap. And finally I broke a sugar holder, but hid it, because I didn't want to admit to doing something else wrong. Simon luckily had a bottle of wine waiting for me when I got home. I proceeded to ask him non-stop for the following two hours (hysterically), "do you think I'll get caught for breaking the sugar holder?!".  After falling asleep, I had dreams of, you guessed it, cafes. 

*   *    *

Today I volunteered again at the Botanic Gardens.  Last week I went out to feed the ducks in the morning and they pretty much attacked me, or at least my sneakers- literally pecking them with their fat beaks. I've relegated that job to Margaret now. There are other people who work at the Botanic Gardens too, mainly my parents age. Claire is the manager, she likes to talk about conservation and haircuts with me. Chris is a 67 year old man who comes in to volunteer after me. 
Our conversation today:
"Good morning Chris!"
"I'm sorry Abi, you're going to have to speak up. My hearing aid is blocked by wax!"
Of course I could have said "Chris, that is absolutely disgusting, please tell me they have Q-tips in New Zealand", but before I could he had started rambling about steam engines in the United States. 

I really get a lot out of volunteering here.

*   *   *

I'm either going to take a bus out to the Peninsula tomorrow, or drive with Piet to Balclutha. I'm also planning on giving June the cat lady something that won't kill her (e.g. jellybeans) this week, and maybe go over to her house for a big roast (vegetarian... not anymore!). And of course, the ongoing search for transpo. 

I'll keep all of you updated, sorry for the short sabbatical!

Cheers,
Abi

5 comments:

  1. oh, Abi you make me laugh. i should really stop reading your blog while at work because it's becoming increasingly difficult to contain my chuckling.

    check your e-mail for further commentary. i'm sending you one right...now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! my first day as a waiter, i had a party of 20 people and completely panicked. had to have someone else do it, and chill in the stairwell for a few minutes. plus, i had lied on my application. it was pretty obvious when i asked someone how to make a capuccino.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Abi... this is Katie R. from Capen. I was (am...) procrastinating on facebook and was photo album stalking people, and somehow ended up seeing that you were in New Zealand again, and found the link to your blog on your facebook homepage. I just sat here and read all your posts, and I could totally hear your voice saying them out loud in all of them... funny how some people write exactly as they talk.

    It seems like you got there almost the same day I got to Copenhagen. Your posts about living independently in another country really rang true with me... I am studying with mostly Americans but I live in an apartment building with only a small number of others and get around by public transportation/grocery shop/etc independently since none of them are in my program of study. Public transportation was insanely scary at first (all announcements and signs in Danish, district/street names that all look the same, plus three extra letters in the alphabet). Paying with Danish currency, same deal as you. It is such an amazing feeling to be able to grab the right amount of money out of my coin purse without having to pull out every coin and look at the denomination written on it.

    Also, we are pretty much on direct opposite sides of the earth (I think... at least in the map in my mind we are). Right now in the summer there is light until after 10 pm and it starts getting light again around 3, which needless to say sucks when your room has a huge window facing east. Anyway, it sounds like you are having an amazing time and I hope you make it through the winter without freezing too much. Please think of those psycho sheep from that "Black Sheep" movie next time you decide to hop in a random sheep pen and chase them around... I don't want you to end up like this: http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3643840512/tt0779982

    P.S. sorry for writing sooo much, it's a little bit of a problem I have :l

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.P.S. perhaps Smith should start offering coffee making or bartending seminars... or at least j-term classes? Give Smithies some skills they can use for when they graduate with a liberal arts degree and then realize they can't use actually it for anything :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The wax is completely sick, must we share these details. By the bye, when is the last time you waxed your ear? Are you washing? Deoderizing? Is Simon being nice? Tell him hello. Nice profile pic on fb, you look hot. Annie said she is moving to Chicago. I went to vegas last weekend, it sucked. Miss you xxxx.

    ReplyDelete